All lesson plans in this blog are of my own creation for use in my own classes. I encourage educators to use any and all lesson plans on this blog in their own classes, to alter the plans to fit their needs, and to leave comments on how to improve the plans. If you are re-blogging a plan, or otherwise sharing these plans with others, I ask only that you cite my blog as your source.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Guilty Pleasures for the Spanish Language Film Fan

I'm not thinking about the classroom right now. It is, after all, summer vacation. I am thinking about fun films that I now have time to watch, without the next day's lesson plans looming. Here are some of my favorite Spanish language films that haven´t (yet?) made it into my classroom, but that I think you, the teacher / professor, will enjoy:

1. Amantes del Cículo Polar (Julio Medem, 1998)
2. 5 días sin Nora (Mariana Chenillo, 2010) Okay, so I have taught this film, but it is so funny that it deserves to be on this list!
3. Anita (Marcos Carnevale, 2009)
4. La otra familia (Gustavo Loza, 2011)
5. Pelotero* (Trevor Martin, Jonathan Paley, Ross Finkel, 2012)
6. 15 años y un día** (Gracia Querejeta, 2013) See my post about this film.
7. XXY (Lucía Puenzo, 2007)

Here are films that have been recommended to me that are on my own "Guilty Pleasures" list for the summer:

1. Viva Cuba* (Juan Carlos Cremata Malberti, Iraida Malberti Cabrera, 2005)
2. Hermano* (Marcel Rasquin, 2012)
3. Una noche* (Lucy Mulloy, 2013)
4. Tony Manero* (Pablo Larraín, 2009)
5. Paraiso** (Mariana Chenillo, 2013)
6. El médico aleman** (Lucía Puenzo 2014)

*Available on Netflix instant video. The other films need a bit more effort to get a hold of, but they are well worth the time. I am a big fan of my local library and they seem to be able to find most of them that have been released on US format DVD.
**To my knowledge, these have not yet been released on DVD in the U.S. Amazon has some of them available for purchase in European format.

2 comments:

  1. I am delighted that your blog was forwarded to me. As a teacher of a high school Spanish V class focused on culture and history of Spanish-speaking countries, I use film a great deal to illustrate the topics I am teaching and, as a result, have become a true "aficionado" of Spanish and Latino cinema. Many thanks for your insights. I will be visiting your blog frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment, Joylene. Please share any tips or ideas from your experiences!

    ReplyDelete